A blog for my thoughts on old-school RPGs and anything else I can think of.


A blog for my thoughts on old-school RPGs, CRPGs, fantasy art, film, historical ruminations, and anything else I can think of.



2016-02-01

Review of "The Outer Presence"

A few months back the Escapist Magazine website had a short blurb on a new, rules-lite, Lovecraftian horror table-top RPG. It peaked my interest, I had been asked to run a new game, and I was looking for something besides Labyrinth Lord. I liked a lot about LL, and it has a ton of room for atmosphere, but the weakness of low level characters makes it a slog.

I bought a printed version of The Outer Presence (it comes with a PDF as well) which contains a rules system and scenario by Venger As'Nas Satanis. The book is nicely produced and has some very appropriate art. I am quite happy with the purchase. So when I say it's relatively short, I'm not complaining. The minimal approach to game mechanics is almost brutal. There are no weapon stats, no skills, no ability scores even. I salute the bravery to eliminate the core features of almost all other RPGs.

There are "professions" that act as character classes, and several tables of emotional and social traits to flesh out the character. Particularly psychological flaws which play an important part in the game. There are also rules for combat and of course insanity, which is central to cosmic horror. However they are so simple all roles are performed with a dice pool, which grows or shrinks based on difficulty. I especially like the odds used, because of the dice pool doesn't punish the player. There is always a 50% - 87% chance to succeed on any task that can be accomplished. Most other Old School Revival games take the "probably can't" approach to player chances. That's not hard core, it's boring.

The scenario is also interesting, a suitably globe spanning adventure set in the 1970s. I think that's an especially good milieu since it makes use of a very recognizable world, but removes many of the technological conveniences (like mobile phones, and internet research). This preserves an isolation that is realistic to the setting.

There are some rather "adult" situations described, but if the game were revised it would be perfect for a younger audience. I can easily see using a campfire tale, or Scooby Doo story line to good effect since the rules are so simple. It does make me think that Lovecraftian pastiche games could easily use a diceless system like Erick Wujcik's Amber (based on the Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber), or Lords of Gossamer and Shadow by Jason Durall.

In general, I like the approach and will definitely make use of the book as well as looking at Kort'thalis Publishing's other RPG, Crimson Dragon Slayer. I think that a heavily house-ruled version of The Outer Presence will be a good fit. Probably re-introducing some of the elements that have been left out to give a more classic feel without losing the minimalist element and focus on character psychology and interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment